Great Brington is recorded in the Domesday book and it is likely that a wooden church originally stood on this site before it was burned down in the 13th Century. The current church dating from between 1220 and 1280 follows the pattern of the Early English Decorated and Perpendicular styles.
Developments of the original church have taken place over the centuries particularly when Sir Edward Grey and his grandson Sir Thomas 1st Marquess of Dorset ( Lords of the Manor of Nobottle and Brington ) integrated the tower with the church building
The cross to the west of the church dates from c 1300,
The Spencers have ancestry dating back to 1508 and it was John Spencer who recorded almost rebuilding the parish church of Great Brington and the creation of the Spencer Chapel. Nineteen generations of the Spencer family rest here.
The lineage of George Washington can be traced back to Lawrence Washington. Lawrence's grave is below a stone slab in the chancel of the Church.
A booklet on the history of St Mary's is available in the Church